Everyone knows how a regularly updated blog can be great for your business. Everyone also knows how time consuming writing blog posts and exporting images can be. I created this quick tutorial and Photoshop action to get you thinking about ways you can expedite that process. One thing that used to take us a considerable amount of time was creating the 2-up vertical images with our logo at the bottom. I used to have an action that simply added the logo (or watermark) to the bottom of the image but no really fast way of combining two selected vertical images. Take a look at the video below and the included action, it just might get you thinking about ways you can speed up your bloggin workflow!

Blog Ready, Vertical Images – Fast! from Phil Thornton on Vimeo.

In my workflow I use Bridge, but this can also be done in Lightroom (shown below).
using lightroom to export to photoshop in layers

In Lightroom, right click on your selected images, choose “Edit In” and “Open as Layers in Photoshop.” You might see this organized differently in different versions.

Have questions? Post them in the comments below and I will do my best to answer them. As always, you can also hit me up on twitter – @phindyphil. Sorry if the quality is a little fuzzy, I’ll try a higher resolution next time!

Download this Photoshop Action

We hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday season!

Written by Phil Thornton

photographer phil thornton

Phil Thornton and his wife Mindy run one of the most successful wedding photography studios in the Nashville market, Phindy Studios. Before entering the photography industry, Phil was a web developer and internet marketing professional. He contributed to several international web marketing projects for clients ranging from Disney to Madonna. He has also helped develop internet marketing strategies for celebrities such as Clint Black, Martina McBride, and Sarah Evans.

• Emily says:

Thank you so much for this– I had no idea you could “open in layers” through Lightroom. That’s a big time saver! 🙂

• jamie says:

Still batting in the little leagues for a few more months until i can graduate, is there a way to customize the action in PS Elements Ocho (PSE8)?? any comments, pointers, helpful suggestions appreciated!

• Sharon Campbell says:

Thank you so much for sharing such great info Phil. This has been something I have been wanting to improve as well.

• Jamie – not sure about using this in Elements. I don’t have a copy to try or I would check it out for you. Maybe post in the Pictage forums … surely someone there has Elements.

Emily & Sharon – Thanks! 🙂

• Von DeVore says:

Thanks! Very helpful info. Struggle with blogging all the time. This will definitely make it easer to get the blog posts up quickly.

• Meagan says:

Hey, can you point me to instructions on how to input my logo into the action?

• […] 1.  How to Use Photoshop to Get Your Blog Images Ready- FAST! […]

• Meagan, if you load the action, expand it in your action palette and double click on the step that says “Place” it should open a dialog that will let you select your logo. My action is set up for a 24 pixel tall logo at the bottom of the image. You might need to adjust the “Canvas Size” step as well to fit your logo. If you need more help just shoot me an email (phil [at] phindystudios.com) 🙂

• Robin May says:

Hey Phil, thanks so much for doing this.When I double click on “Place” in the action, I get a window that tells me “the command place is not currently available”

Also do you have the horizontal action available for download?

• Hi Phil! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this incredibly easy to use tool that has already made my life so much easier! I could stay up all night tonight doing this to my photos for easy online sharing! You rock! Was wondering, like Robin, if you had an action that was created to do the same thing for horizontal photos? Or if there was a way to copy this action and modify it to work for a horizontal image. I appreciate your sharing this, as I am sure are so many others! Have a wonderful holiday and a happy and safe new year!